Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tornado watch

So, my first tornado watch.

At 11:30 p.m. I went outside with the dog and noticed some wicked lightning, seemingly from all over the sky. I commented on how cool it looked.

20 minutes later, sirens started to go off. I didn't really notice until Jake's Mom commented that they were tornado warnings. I didn't really think much about it until she said we should wake up Jake's father.

We turned on the news, and found that there was a tornado watch, meaning that there was either a tornado sighted or high enough winds for a slow rotation. Recommendations were to go to the basement or to a closet.

After calls were made to all family members downtown where the storm was to hit first,
we woke up Grandma and are getting ready to make our way to the basement The lightning is getting intense, and I have no idea what to expect.

Jake says he has seen these warnings 15 times in his life and never seen a tornado, but to see how many people are moving to the basement, it's amazing to believe something could be happening.

12:05 The expectation is that the storm should hit here at 12:35 a.m. We're deciding what to do next. Go outside and watch or head to the basement.

I'll write again soon, I'm going to check the lightning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home